About us

 

Everything you need to know about Nordic Garrison but were afraid to ask

aboutus

Here you will find all the information you need about the 501st Legion: Nordic Garrison.

If you have any questions that are not answered here then contact us.

ng-logo-150x150-2016Who are we?

Nordic Garrison is the Scandinavian arm of the worldwide 501st Legion covering Finland, Norway and Sweden. The 501st is the world’s leading Star Wars costuming organisation consisting of over 6500 members in more than 40 countries. We are all Star Wars fans who have built our own super accurate costume(s) portraying one of the Star Wars bad guys.

What do we do?

We attend conventions, bring life to product launches, visit hospitals, brighten up birthdays or make a special day even more memorable. We also help encourage new members to get their costumes made by holding “armour parties”, have online get togethers where everyone can chat and have some fun and social events.

The most important thing for us is that being a member of Nordic Garrison should be fun.

Why do we do it?

While there are a lot of companies and private individuals out there making a lot of money by attending events as Star Wars characters, we are not among them. None of our members earn any money from appearing at events. Instead we ask the event organisers to either allow us to have a photostand where the attending public can pay for a high quality mounted photograph of themselves with the garrison troopers or else we ask for a donation to be made to our charity collection. From the profit from each event, 90% is donated  to children’s charities in our area of operation. We have a number of long term partners but also make special donations if requested by an event organiser. The remaining 10% is used for improving our photostands, maintaining equipment etc.

This is not a cheap hobby. A complete costume is going to cost upwards of $500 but can be a lot more expensive depending on which character you choose. Then you have to pay to get to events and there are the never ending upgrades to make your costume just a tiny bit more accurate. Then the second costume. And the third…

Despite the high costs, the fact that we have been able to help raise millions of dollars to help sick and disadvantaged kids and seeing the smiles on people’s faces when they meet us makes it all worth while.

How do I join as a trooper?

For full instructions on how to become a 501st Legion member, click here.

How do I join as a supporter?

First of all, you need to be 18 years or over. This is because we handle large amounts of other people’s money and we need to have people who can be held accountable for their actions.

If you already know a member of Nordic Garrison then this is very easy. Register on our forum and then post a reply in this thread. Say who you are and who will sponsor your application. That person will then need to reply to confirm their sponsorship. When that is done you will then be given access to the supporters area where you can start to sign up for events.

If you do not know anyone in Nordic Garrison then find an event near you, come along and say hello. Say that you want to become a supporter and tell an active trooper a little bit about yourself. Then get on to the forum and request access here. If you’ve made a good impression then someone will back you up.

How to I request an appearance?

There are several ways to request an appearance:

Via 501st.com: Simply click here and fill in the details of your event. Legion Command will then forward it to the Nordic Garrison command team who will delegate it to the most appropriate member. This is the most official way but is more time consuming.

Via the Nordic Garrison forum: Create an account on our forum and make a post there where you introduce yourself and tell us a little about your event. We will then discuss it with you and see if we can make something happen. This is faster but relies on the correct person reading your post.

Contact your local Country Representative: Each country in our territory has a designated representative. Their job is to help get you into direct contact with the most appropriate trooper for your event. Use our contact form to get in contact. This is our preferred method as it gets you in direct contact with the right people in the least amount of time.