Visiting Norway, Sweden and Finland Next Summer!

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Skaught
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Visiting Norway, Sweden and Finland Next Summer!

Post by Skaught » 15 Oct 2018, 17:57

Greetings Nordic Garrison! I wanted to share about the trip I'm planning next summer (June) to your area. My wife and two teenage children will be traveling with me to Norway where we plan to spend a week driving around. Then we head down to Copenhagen to board a cruise on the Baltic, stopping in Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, and somewhere on the coast on Germany. They call it "Berlin" but it's a three hour train ride to Berlin so no thanks. I've already been there anyway! Unfortunately, besides St. Petersburg, it's only a one day stop in the ports, but we'll do our best to see the sights.

In Norway we plan to fly into Oslo, spend a couple days there, and then get a rental car and drive west to see the Fjords. The details on that are undecided. It looks like driving to Bergen makes sense and then going north, circling back around to Oslo. We want to see all the beautiful sights, but also do something interesting if we can find things. Like horseback riding or something else fun.

I was disappointed to learn that you can't drive to Finse! After having visited Skellig Michael in Ireland and Padme's home in Lake Como, Italy, I wanted to add another film location to my map. Especially since I have Snowtrooper armor. We'll be SO CLOSE yet unable to visit. Question - if you take a train, can you schedule it so you jump off in Finse and get on another train later and continue to Bergen? I understand that the actual film locations are further away but I'm wondering about the transportation logistics.

Any advice, tips and "don't miss this" recommendations would be great. Thanks!

Scott Will
TK-408
Florida Garrison

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Visiting Norway, Sweden and Finland Next Summer!

Post by 842 » 15 Oct 2018, 21:02

Hi Scott, its been while since we have seen. Rose Parade, perhaps?
Im sure our members from Norway can help you with Finse. Its excellent place for any Snowtrooper!
I'm located on Finland and could help you with things over here. Like vodka. :)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
501st Nordic Garrison ID/TS/TK 842
501st Blizzard Force - Elite Imperial Snowtrooper Detachment
501st Imperial Officer Corps
501st FISD
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by 52117 » 15 Oct 2018, 21:39

Hi Scott!

Martin, Squad Leader for Capital District Squad situated in Oslo and surrounding areas here!

Welcome to Norway, and those other countries next year!

Anyways, NORWAY!
So nice that you want to visit our beautiful country! I am sure a bunch of our troopers would be happy to meet you and your family here in Oslo next summer. I sure do!
As for visiting Finse, yes, you can take the train there, get off, and take the next train either back to Oslo or onwards to Bergen. But my advice here is that you should continue from Finse to Bergen, rent a car in Bergen and drive through the west coast. That way you will see even more of the fjords and the mountains, without having to drive from Oslo to Bergen, which, to be honest, is quite tedious. It's better to see the sights across the Hardangervidda from the train ride. Bergen is also the most beautiful city on the west coast, so going there is a good choice!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Martin
Praetorian Rex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 61514 » 15 Oct 2018, 21:52

Oh hey Skaught, i've bought merch from you, recognized that name from the main boards :D Welcome!

I'm with Martin in meeting you when you eventually arrive in Oslo :) We'll have some patches waiting for you.
-Daniel Andersen-
ImageImage

Skaught
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Skaught » 16 Oct 2018, 16:40

Thank you!

Since we have to get to Copenhagen for the cruise, I thought it would be fun to drive there through Sweden, taking our time along the way to see whatever there is to see. It'll give us another view of Sweden other than just the one day in Stockholm. So we'll have to get back to the general area of Oslo after visiting the west coast. I've looked at the ferry from Oslo to Copenhagen, but for four of us it looks to be the more expensive method, take longer, and leave us sitting on a boat for 16 or so hours. I'd rather drive and see the countryside and stop along the way.

Besides, we could stop at an Ikea in Sweden. Because that would be really funny. At least to us. LOL

Scott

Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by 52117 » 16 Oct 2018, 18:05

Careful so you don't get lost inside IKEA, it's a maze!
Praetorian Rex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 87101 » 16 Oct 2018, 18:06

Malmö is right across the bridge from Copenhagen so I’d love to meet up! :)
TB-87101 (biker)
Troops
Nordic Garrison: 11
Danish Garrison: 1

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 0518 » 16 Oct 2018, 18:19

52117 wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 18:05
Careful so you don't get lost inside IKEA, it's a maze!
A-maze-ing you mean?
United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.
-Patrick Henry, March 1799
If the crew doesn't hate the XO, then he's not doing his job.
- Col. Saul Tigh, BSG

Skaught
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Skaught » 16 Oct 2018, 22:07

We have an Ikea in my area, so I know full well. Before we had one close by, we would visit them while on vacation. I've been to an Ikea in Washington D.C., Philadelphia, Miami, Orlando, Houston, Los Angeles, San Diego, Chicago, London, Cardiff and Berlin. Now that one is in Tampa, about 45 minutes away, I don't really care. But it would be funny to at least get a photo outside one in Sweden. Maybe get some meatballs, too. :)

So, since we have to circle back to the east in Norway to head south, would anyone recommend a route? We'd return the car in Copenhagen.

Scott

Commanding Officer
Commanding Officer

Post by 3893 » 17 Oct 2018, 09:19

Since I live far north, I hope I will meet you in Chicago since it might be very unlikely we'll meet in Sweden. But YAY for you to come here!