Finally some more progress pics. I have been secretely sludging and sanding (and sanding and sanding and sanding....) all the parts now. Also got started on my helmet which needed a bit of bending to get back into shape, but thanks to a warm sunny day and a closed car I managed it quite easily.
Here's my ever so untidy workbench with some of the pieces laid out. The grey lines on the knee straps is actually bathroom silicone, which seems to be the only thing that actually sticks to these mothers. The compad is fastened with a strange goo which I found in the HW store. It's a glue/silicone/filler kind of thing which is flexible when dry and can actually be sanded. I've used it for the backplate, and the arm and knee pads as a flexible filler.
Also finished up the back plate with all its little knick knacks and doodaas. I secured everything with 3x15mm screws, and of course used pre-drilled holes (2mm). I will add some glue when I do the final mounting after painting.
And finally, The Bucket.
Next steps involve getting some primer on the helmet, fix the knee straps since they look a bit messy (god I hate silicone...), do like a gazillion snap plates, and figure out how to do the belt. And of course, a full dress up complete with duct tape and everything. Hopefully I'll do this faster than the above.