WIP - Drake Poldragon - Generic Jedi

For all costumes from The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith

Moderators: 3893, team-ng-command

Drake Poldragon
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

WIP - Drake Poldragon - Generic Jedi

Post by Drake Poldragon » 30 Mar 2015, 23:56

Hi, I'm Jamie, I introduced myself recently as a total newb planning on making a Jedi costume in time for The Force Awakens.

Well now I've started, and I thought I'd try and keep a WIP thread as best I can to record how this all goes. My goal is to create a generic human Jedi ala Obi-wan in RotS, it seems the best use of my almost McGregor level good looks ;) If the process goes well then perhaps in the future I can 'upgrade' to a Twi-lek Jedi.

In the meantime, I've bought myself five meters of dark brown cotton, thinking that'd be enough to have a trial run at sewing and cutting and all these costumey things I'm going to have to learn. The brown was pretty much the cheapest material they had in the store so I figured I'd make a start with that and it may be usable as a robe at the end too. It turns out that five meters won't be enough for a robe, I'll need four more to create the other half. Should leave me with plenty of parts to practice on at least.

Originally I was planning on using the template available on the Jedi Assembly site by Ani-Chay Pinn, but after finding SithariRog's tutorials on the Rebel Legion I've chosen to base my robe on his Jedi Master's Robe Tutorial. After a round in the washing machine this is what I had...

Followed by some measuring and scrawling I'm heading to bed tonight having got this far...

All very challenging (Lord only know's how I deal further into the project), and fun so far. As I go on I'd be very grateful for encouragement and even more for advice. :)

Thanks, Jamie

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Re: WIP - Drake Poldragon - Generic Jedi

Post by 4492 » 31 Mar 2015, 07:00

It looks really good so far! And yes robes takes an insane amount of fabric, I'm needing around 7 meters for a snug robe, that's not as free flowing as a jedi robe.

When it comes to advice I have this. The cotton will not work as main fabric for the robe. You need something heavier that gives a better drape, and wrinkles less. The best is if you can find a nice pure wool fabric, but they can be quite pricey so I would look for some fabric made of a wool blend and see what's available.

Drake Poldragon
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Drake Poldragon » 31 Mar 2015, 11:11

Thanks, and thank you for the advice. I was really unsure if it would work for the task. All comments online led me to believe that I'd need some wool, but then the only person I'd spoke to about this in real life (the girl at the fabric store) said that this would drape just fine. Like I said, either way it was one of the cheapest materials they had and will provide good practice for me. It's great to het a real opinion on weather cotton wil work. :)

SL-8614
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by SL-8614 » 31 Mar 2015, 18:14

Good choice on the Rogers tutorial, it is great and it gives you the look of Obi-Wan.
Personally I would go for something wool for the final robe(perhaps use this as a summer robe, there is just something epic over a jedi with a robe ;) )but linen actually works too, but does not give the same feeling as a woolen robe.
Formerly known as Anakin Skywalker, now gone he is consumed by Darth Vader.

http://thomasblack1.deviantart.com/
All my art and commission rates

Need a sig? just ask ^^

Drake Poldragon
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Drake Poldragon » 01 Apr 2015, 14:29

Just got home from work (Woo Hoo Easter Holidays) and have my next 4m of material going in the washing machine. I have cut out the first half of the robe, it all seems to have gone very well, an I couldn't resist taking my first 'in costume' photo...

SL-8614
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by SL-8614 » 01 Apr 2015, 17:02

looking good so far ;)
Formerly known as Anakin Skywalker, now gone he is consumed by Darth Vader.

http://thomasblack1.deviantart.com/
All my art and commission rates

Need a sig? just ask ^^

Country Rep: Norway
Country Rep: Norway

Post by 52117 » 01 Apr 2015, 21:47

Cool! I want to make a jedi in the future too. :)
Praetorian Rex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TopCatDK
Supporter
Supporter

Post by TopCatDK » 01 Apr 2015, 22:43

Good luck on your project :) Think most Star wars fans wish they could be jedi.. At least for a moment ;)

Drake Poldragon
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by Drake Poldragon » 27 Apr 2015, 09:19

OK, going is slow at the moment, although progress on second childs bedroom and bathroom refurbishing is good. :)

I have found the time to learn how to thread my seeing machine and got it all ready with some nice brown thread.

And MAN is sewing hard!

I've made a pigs ear of a few pieces of offcut cotton and am pushing on and getting better. So I'm going to keep practicing, I need to get three things right before I can actually make something. These may sound obvious but I'm finding them a challenge.
1: I need to learn how hard to push my foot on the pedal to control the speed.
2: I also need to get better at keeping the material straight as it pulls through.
3: Learning to fold small amounts of material straight along a distance for seams.

Any tips for these things would be appreciated, although I reckon practice is the key here.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11101 » 27 Apr 2015, 09:43

Practice, practice, practice. It's getting better with time :) Use lots of pins to keep everything in place but try to not sew over them. At the beginning try to sew slowly and let the machine work through the fabrics. You just lead not pull it through. If the cotton is not stretchy then you will master it soon :) Use the right needles and also see that you find the right tension for the thread. You can do it! :)