Visiting Norway

Moderator: team-ng-command

ID-6191
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper
antispamfield: No

Visiting Norway

Post by ID-6191 »

Hi, and warm greetings from Germany to our Nordic 501st-comrades! :)

Me and my wife (DZ-3396) will visiting Norway next week (flying 20 Feb, staying about two weeks). Starting in Tromsö, over Bergen (maybe Finse) to Oslo. So we´re wondering if there is any speciality we MUST see or meet!?
At Tromsö we would like to see the northern lights, but not in a giant tourist group. A max to about 10 people or less would be fine. Are there any northern light tours you recommend? Or a nice dog sled tour?
What about Finse and the Hoth-sets? Is it worth seeing? We already had contact to the Finse 1222 hotel, but they say they can´t offer us a guided tour, because they don´t have dogs there at this time. They offer us snow shoes to walk to the SW sets (glacier), but not guided. What do you think? How long is it (distance and time), and is it possible to reach the sets without a guide and go back to the train station within about 6 hours?

We would love to read your comments! Thank you so much in advance. We´re very excited to this trip! ;) :D

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Visiting Norway

Post by 52117 »

Hello there and welcome to Norway!

I live in Oslo and don't know much about how you can get to see the Northern lights, but I can guarantee that there is plenty of tourist information about this and different options when you arrive there.

I Bergen I would recommend to see the city from Fløyen, which is a great place to get a marvellous view of the city.

At Finse many of the filming locations are around the hotel, so you can basically see them from within the hotel. My advice on venturing farther out is to listen to the staff and any guides of the area, to make sure you don't get lost or end up somewhere it is dangerous to be.

In Oslo there are the obvious sights, like the Royal Castle, Frognerparken, the museums on Bygdøy, the Opera House and so on. There are also many troopers living in and around Oslo, if you would like to meet. Many of us like to exchange merch too, so feel free to bring patches, trading cards, etc.

Regards,
Martin
Praetorian Rex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TD-6237
Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by TD-6237 »

I was at the ESB 30th Anniversary at Finse in 2010. With 40+ SW nerds, it took the better part of the day to hike up to the glacier and back; IIRC, we headed out around 10:00 am, and returned to the hotel around 4:00 pm. We walked at a leisurely pace and had a lot of stops though, due to weather conditions, photo ops, and lunch, and I believe we took the longer, scenic route. I was also kicking myself the whole time, for choosing snow shoes over cross-country skis...With a more direct route, better weather and fewer stops along the way (and skis, instead of those cursed snow shoes), I would guess a hike to the glacier and back would be something like 2-3 hours.

However, I would not recommend going up there without a guide, or at least a descent amount of experience with wintertime mountain hiking. Finse in February is no joke - the weather can change on a dime, temperatures drop, and white-outs and blizzards are frequent. There are also dangerous snow covered ravines up by the glacier.

But as Martin said, there are quite a few locations really close to the hotel. The scene where Luke is freezing to death, was literally filmed from one of the hotel doorways, and the infamous "And I thought they smelled bad...On the outside!"-scene with Luke and Han was shot just a few meters from the hotel. The lake next to the hotel was used for several scenes, and some of the Hoth mountains (although recut and mixed in with matte paintings) are visible from the hotel, on a clear day.

That being said, the scenery at Finse is well worth the trip, in and of itself, and the starlit sky on a clear night is breathtaking!
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
-Book of Cyril

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 »

We basically walked up to the rock and where the glacier started, and then we went back. We passed a couple of hills on the way and took a different route on the way back.
There are no actual "sets" anywhere, neither on the mountain or near the hotel. There is only the natural ice, snow and rocks.
You would need a guide or have good trekking experience, because for the uninitiated eye, everything looks the same and someone who is not prepared would get lost and die up there. Unless you have a photographic memory, you would also need to have screenshots or photos from the movie to see which rock is which, or be told by someone knowledgeable what is what.

But hey, at least everything feels like Finse, even from the view of the Hotel.
If you get the train, then you could perhaps get off, spend a couple of hours and then get on the next train.
The hotel entrance is literally on the train platform, and weather permitting, you could get a splendid view of the mountain and the glacier between the houses or from the lobby inside.
But do mind your step! At least trooper walked too far and sunk down to his waist in wet snow and got really wet.
TD-6237 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:41
The scene where Luke is freezing to death, was literally filmed from one of the hotel doorways, and the infamous "And I thought they smelled bad...On the outside!"-scene with Luke and Han was shot just a few meters from the hotel.
Yes. We know it was right there, but you can't really tell.

BTW. The man stepping in the snow-storm as Luke was a local who acted as a stand-in for Mark Hamill ... He left shortly after filming. Nobody but him knows who he was, and he was never credited.
TD-6237 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 16:41
We walked at a leisurely pace and had a lot of stops though, due to weather conditions, photo ops, and lunch,
and I believe we took the longer, scenic route.
We did not have a proper lunch break, at least none that was announced as such to everyone. I got home with half of my food uneaten because of it. It did not feel like a "leisurely pace" to me, but a felt hurried, stressful experience. Sometimes I felt that I had to run to not be left behind the head of the group. Maybe you are an elite military man with very good physical condition who was always near the lead, but most of us on the trek were normies ... and sometimes the trail of walkers stretched for a hundred meters or more.
That was my biggest grip about the whole thing, and why I would not recommend that guide again.

ID-6191
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by ID-6191 »

Thank you very much for the previous informations! Great! In the next days we will decide what we´ll do, and if we visit Finse or not. I think it depends mostly of the wheater conditions.
A meeting with you guys in Oslo (or another town on our trip) would be great. :) Thanks for the offer! We will arrive Oslo at night the 27th Feb and stay till 3rd March (flying back to Germany in the morning). So please let us know when and where you have time, and maybe we can arrange a little 501st-meeting.
(snow-comm) (snowie) (snow-comm) (snowie) (veers) (jawa) (snow-comm) (snowie) (snow-comm) (snowie)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 52117 »

ID-6191 wrote:
13 Feb 2019, 21:40
A meeting with you guys in Oslo (or another town on our trip) would be great. :) Thanks for the offer! We will arrive Oslo at night the 27th Feb and stay till 3rd March (flying back to Germany in the morning). So please let us know when and where you have time, and maybe we can arrange a little 501st-meeting.
(snow-comm) (snowie) (snow-comm) (snowie) (veers) (jawa) (snow-comm) (snowie) (snow-comm) (snowie)
That we will be able to do! :)
Praetorian Rex
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Squad Leader
Squad Leader

Post by 13818 »

Moin Moin Marcel,

Ich bin hier oben der Quoten-Deutsche der Legion.
Ich hoffe ihr beide habt eine eine super Zeit in Norwegen. :)
Ich arbeite im Zentrum von Oslo, nehme mir gerne Zeit, auf einen Kaffe, nach der Arbeit und auch für ein größeres Treffen.
Martin wird versuchen ein nettes Treffen mit möglichst vielen Mitliedern des Captital Distric Squads zu organisieren.
Über Finse kann ich dir nichts sagen, war da selber bisher noch nicht.
Was ich aber jedem Deutschen raten kann ist Oscarsborg festning zu besichtigen, im Winter ist auf der Insel nicht so viel geöffnet, aber es ist ein wichtiger Teil Norwegisch-Deutscher-Geschichte.

Ich freue mich euch beide kennen zu lernen :)
Squad Leader of the Awesome Squad Aka Capital District Squad

(grey-off) Rogue One Staff Officer

ID-6191
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by ID-6191 »

13818 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 11:22
Moin Moin Marcel,

Hah geil, ein Landsmann! :) Wäre klasse wenn das Treffen klappt. Ich bin bis Dienstag hier im Forum erreichbar. Danach muss ich mal schau´n wie wir Kontakt halten. Whatsapp?

Squad Leader
Squad Leader

Post by 13818 »

ID-6191 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:20
13818 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 11:22
Moin Moin Marcel,

Hah geil, ein Landsmann! :) Wäre klasse wenn das Treffen klappt. Ich bin bis Dienstag hier im Forum erreichbar. Danach muss ich mal schau´n wie wir Kontakt halten. Whatsapp?
Meine Telefonnummer ist 93011041, du kannst mich auch über Facebook erreichen, adde mich doch einfach https://www.facebook.com/ullumullu.buh
Squad Leader of the Awesome Squad Aka Capital District Squad

(grey-off) Rogue One Staff Officer

ID-6191
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by ID-6191 »

13818 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:52
Meine Telefonnummer ist 93011041
Hast Du ´ne Handynummer?
13818 wrote:
14 Feb 2019, 21:52
...du kannst mich auch über Facebook erreichen, adde mich doch einfach https://www.facebook.com/ullumullu.buh
Hab´ kein Facebook. ;)