Moderator: team-ng-command

Tragix
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper
antispamfield: No

Visiting Helsinki! May 15-21

Post by Tragix »

Hello!

I'm James from Garrison Excelsior. I've taken some time next week to travel, and decided to spend some time in Helsinki.

It will be my first time in Europe at all. If anyone has recommendations, or would like to meet up, I'll be available! I'll be sure to bring some Excelsior patches with me :)

Country Rep: Finland
Country Rep: Finland

Re: Visiting Helsinki! May 15-21

Post by 27888 »

Hi James,
welcome to Finland already in advance. :)

I have alerted other members to come check this post and their calendars. I'm sure we can arrange something, at least give you good tips on what to do in Helsinki.

Are you bringing a costume with you? We've got a troop on Saturday 18th in the city of Raisio. That could be a chance for you to travel with us across the country and see more.

- Marietta
Troops:
Nordic Garrison: 20
Other Garrisons: 9

Tragix
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by Tragix »

Hey Marietta,

Thanks for letting others know!

I'll be packing pretty light, so I won't be bringing a costume with me. However, i'll have a few Star Wars shirts on me, so I could definitely be a handler if timing works out. Can you post a link to the event thread?

I also picked up a few of my Garrison's patches, so i'll have those available for any traders! :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 7858 »

Hi James,

You can't see the event thread because you haven't got the rights for it but the details are as follows.

Event date: Saturday 18th May 2019.
Start c. 6.30-7.00AM, two hour drive from Helsinki to Raisio, we get ready and troop at the Lego event for six hours, then possible aftertroop activities and then two-hour drive back. So it's probably a 13-14-hour day at least. Also we need to check this from the EC.

I'll try to find some patches for you. :D

What do you usually want to see in a new place? Have you checked the TripAdvisor suggestions?

My picks are Suomenlinna (a castle island, 15-20 minute ferry ride from the harbour), Seurasaari Outdoors Museum (take a bus and walk around, you'll see how the Finns used to live a hundred years ago, old wooden houses...), Linnanmäki (amusement park just a few kilometers from the city center), Temppeliaukio Church (cool church built inside rock with a roof made out of glass and 17 miles of copper wire) and there used to be a nice steampunk themed pub/night club called Steam Helsinki but I think they have moved to a new location and I haven't visited it yet.
Bubbling under: You can also take one of our big ferries and go to Tallinn, Estonia for a few hours and come back later the same day.

Tragix
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by Tragix »

My biggest reason for wanting to visit Finland is to experience the culture. I'm very into metal music and I'm a software engineer. A lot of influencial art/science that I've fallen in love with has come from Finland making it my #1 bucket list destination.

I actually don't have any plans for Saturday the 18th, so I would love to tag along as a handler! If anyone has spare room in a car, that would be fantastic. It looks like there's a train I could take from my flat in Helsinki to Raisio, otherwise.

I've been using AirBnb to book my rooming (I'll be in the Design district), as well as some tours and sauna experiences

Suomenlinna is definitely a place I want to see, I think either Friday the 17th or Monday the 20th I'll make it out there.

Aside from all that, I'm using this trip as a reset before I make a big move in the US and start a new job, so I'm giving myself time to enjoy nature and try some local food that I might not experience otherwise!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 9829 »

Hmmmm, I did a quick check on what the rock club that's handily located in my workplace's block (Tavastia @ Urho Kekkosen katu 4-6) offers around your visit. Not much on the metal front, sadly.
And as I don't know a thing about the band so I can't say if this Viikate would be your thing or not :thinking:

// edit: cool, there's now a thinker smiley!
Anyway, if you're going to spend most of your time in Helsinki, I'd recommend getting a travel card for a week, so you wouldn't have to worry about the zones, change times or whatnot. That also includes the basic ferry to and from Suomenlinna, which sometimes surprises people.

// edit: Should've remembered MyHelsinki.fi, silly me! Here's a link to their music events list (/page 1) with your timestamps. Tagging's not as good as it should be imo, but could be worse. And no, it doesn't help at all if you s/music/metal/gi in the url, I tried :P

(I got locked out of fb in H2/2019, so please don't waste your effort trying to reacg me through zucky's garbage network)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 842 »

James, you are most welcome to participate our small troop on Raisio. I will be there too. Surely we could find you something very finnish things to experience. ;)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
501st Nordic Garrison ID/TS/TK 842
501st Blizzard Force - Elite Imperial Snowtrooper Detachment
501st Imperial Officer Corps
501st FISD
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 12077 »

Welcome to Finland James! You are most welcome if you decide to join us to this troop. It is a event where kids can build legos and there is lego exhibition of more advanced builders. We don't have a stand there, we're just patrolling around and making kids happy. It's not a big troop, but you get a chance to visit Finland's original capital city Turku.
12077 - Death Star workforce - "commence primary ignition"

"Well hello mr. fancy pants. I got news for you pal, you ain´t leading but two things right now; Jack and s#!t. And Jack left town."

Tragix
501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by Tragix »

Hi all,

Can someone provide me the address for the troop on Saturday? I'll most likely take a train in to Raisio :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 12077 »

The Address is: Kisakatu 4, 21200 Raisio
Name of the place.: Kerttulan liikuntahalli (Kerttula sports hall)

The train will only go to Turku, not to Raisio.
From Turku it's about 15km to Raisio.

1 trooper car is coming from Helsinki, I'm sure there is a place for you.
12077 - Death Star workforce - "commence primary ignition"

"Well hello mr. fancy pants. I got news for you pal, you ain´t leading but two things right now; Jack and s#!t. And Jack left town."