sesewest
Supporter
Supporter
antispamfield: No

Darth vader

Post by sesewest »

Hey Guys

Dont know if this is the right category to ask in but anyway

in the future long in the future when I've trooped for sometime (don't have a costume yet) i always wanted to have a Rotj darth vader costume
and because I'm not as tall as dave prowse is i wondered if the nordic garrison and 501st legion would have prove if bought approved boots but fixed them
so they would make me taller like him would you approve ?

(vader)

Have a great midsummer !!!

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Darth vader

Post by 5573 »

There are no restrictions on height, weight etc in the 501st. However, common sense should prevail here. How tall are you? If you are just a little bit to short then getting lifts in your boots (as well as high heeled boots) will be fine but if you are only 150cm then maybe it won't work so well :) I'm almost exactly 180 and a teeny bit too short to be Vader but I did a trial run wit ha loaned costume at the last SSGFC event and it looked pretty ok I think.

I've been at an event where there was a far too short Darth Vader and people kept making jokes about him (or maybe even her). The last thing you want is to spend a tonne of cash on a great costume and then have people laugh at you cos you're too short.

"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

Yep, like Andrew said: you can be anything you want and you'll have our support either way. But the world is cruel, people make fun of you and think it's OK because they look like "they're laughing with you", I always tell visitors on their disrespect when they go knocking on shorttroopers helmets or even say "aren't you a little..." to anyone in costume. Because deep inside they don't give a damn, they are pieces of nothing and just want to hurt other people's feelings.

But that shouldn't stop you from choosing a costume.

With that in mind, modify boots to raise you up 10cm extra or so (it's an approved method) and go Vader.

sesewest
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sesewest »

Thank you guys for responding I'm 176cm and i have had mean comments about me before but i just ignore them
why I'm asking about the height is because when i do a star wars character i want the feeling that Darth Vader would really be
there with his tall height and awesomeness but as i said it will be long before i start to build a darth vader costume :)

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by 5573 »

A good idea might be to start with another costume then borrow a Vader from someone at a troop and see how you get on with it. That's what I did :)
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

sesewest
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sesewest »

Yeah thats what i will do then :)

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 5956 »

well even though there is no height/weight restrictions in the 501st, my opinion is pretty much the same as Andrew here. You can have the most Badass Vader costume in the world, but if you are Hobbit size it wouldnt look good.
Just trooped in Legoland with a German Maul, he wa quite high and to me that kind of ruined the magic a bit for me.. Ray parks is something like 175cm in height.. Vader is pretty heigh and if he is smaller than the stormies around him he would look like Dark Helmet..
I'm not interested in preserving the status quo; I want to overthrow it!
Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you Family!

sesewest
Supporter
Supporter

Post by sesewest »

well im one cm taller then ray park but i feel that the magic has to be there and to be darth vader it is his height that i feel is very important

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 6894 »

I am lucky being tall and. Bit bulky perhaps but i am working on that. Andrew made a good vader in gothenburg
the man they call fuzzy bear.
ANH Vader 100%
WIP ESB Vader 85%
WIP ROTJ Vader 40%

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

I'm 177 and I've considered Lord Helmet as an alternative... :/ At least people will laugh with me, and not at me.