Dual Han In Carbonite Build

For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Re: Dual Han In Carbonite Build

Post by 3664 »

I got the lighting kit for the hero-panel over at TheRPF. There are a couple of guys selling them there, and if you snoop around a bit you can probably get some good information.

I am in the process of mounting my HIC semi-permanently at the bar where I work, and as a result I'm going to start making a mold of the sidepanel soon and making copies.
I'm still swamped with work at school, so the sidepanels will be a pet project whenever I have time.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

Started making the box for the mold now, and it's slowly crawling along inch by inch.
I think I'll give the inside of the box a light coat of clear laquer (I don't even know if that's neccessary), then fasten the panel inside, and close all the seams using (sulphur free) clay.
Then I just have to mix up a batch of silicone and give it a print/gelcoat before pouring the rest over.

Here is a picture of the set-up so far:

I'm following Matt Munsons lead and just casting the outside of the panel (as you'll never see the inside anyway), and it makes for a much easier moldingprocess. So I just glued pieces of styrene over all the holes so that the finished casts are pretty much ready to go right out of the mold with minimal clean-up, just paint and add greeblies.

Here is a picture of Matt Munsons finished mold, which he just slush-casts resin copies in, which turns out great:

And as another note, I refurbished my Han Solo, pouring an all new carbonite texture around him and painting it again. I only have to weather him and he's good as new. I felt this was the right time to do it, as I was more satisfied with the finish on the second HIC I built, and have been wanting to re-do my own, and now I have the time and opportunity to do a makeover before he is to be displayed permanently. Right now he's sitting in the basement at the bar where I work where he will be displayed indefinitely (until I get a place big enough to house him myself). There he will be encased in plexiglass with a subtle orange glow emanating from behind. I'm looking forward to seeing it displayed properly!

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 150 »

oh god oh god .... this is just an awsome build!.... and your doing great work... im so jaloux !! ;)
(TS/SL-150) Naughty Garrison
Im a Alu-holic!!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Post by 8746 »

Awesome :D

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

Thanks guys! :-D

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

GREAT WORK :-)
We are allso starting to soon to make molds of the hic panel, looking forward to see the progress and howto
Troops: 92

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

You and Geir?

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

yes, mate :-) and the rest of the team. Doing some exciting work here at the Armorworkshop
Troops: 92

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

It would be nice if you could create a progress/buildthread so we others could take part in your joy.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

Behold The Mold!

As this was my first time working with silicone, a lot could have gone wrong, but it turned out perfect!
I was really anxious about air bubbles being trapped in the mold and making voids, but it couldn't have turned out better.
A shout out of thanks goes to Aslak for giving me pointers and sharing his expertise.
I'll try to make the first cast when I come home from work tonight.