For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator
antispamfield: No

Another first timer needing help

Post by 24269 »

Hi everyone,

Here is another hopeful recruit who hopes to be able to join the 501st at some point. I have been reading a lot and realised that there is a lot of things to get right.

My name is Andreas and I live in Stockholm.

I have bought a set of TK armour from a person who sells LARP materials at Lincon. He had two sets of armour and was selling one so I went for it.

I have no idea what make it is. I would guess it is a ROTJ style but it does not seem to have the white gasket around the edges attached.

I would be really grateful for any help in sorting out what I need to get to complete the armour. I know I definitely need the neck seal and I also need boots.

Anyway, here is a photo of the pieces and my first attempt at putting it on (need to put new velcro on the one shoulder pad so it can attach). I also need to learn where to attach what strap and tighten it properly.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Re: Another first timer needing help

Post by 3664 »

This looks like a good old FX-suit. It can be made approvable by getting a different helmet and tweaking the armor a bit.
Go to http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/ and snoop around a bit, it's the home of everything Stormtrooper, and there are great tutorials there for everything you could possibly want to know.

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 »

That looks like an old FX armor, and though approvable, needs a lot of work to get right.

And sorry to say, but you would need a new helmet.

If you are not on FISD (http://www.whitearmomr.net) yet, I higly recommend you go there. Its where you find everything stormtrooper like. There are plenty of people who have made an armor like yours approvable(Including me, before I got a new one).

Is the pieces glued or vecroed together? If velcro, it will be a lot easier to make right. If glued...well, very hard.
SKÅNE TROOPERS

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 »

Heh, Martin beat me to it.
SKÅNE TROOPERS

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

Look! An old F... Ahh damnit!

About the helmet, FX helmets can be accepted at basic requiremenent as long as its details follow the CRL. It's just that the wrong shape of it is very noticeable.

How much did you pay if I may ask?

Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator

Post by 24269 »

Thanks for the help, even though the news are not all good. I have browsed around a bit at whitearmor.net but I figured I would post ask here first. The forum is a bit intimidating.

I am ok with just meeting the basic requirements to start with and looking at the CRL it seems it could be acceptable even if it isn't ideal. On googling a bit I found this comparison pic. http://www.starwarshelmets.com/imperialfanFX.htm

I do see the difference especially in size, although given how big my head is that is probably an advantage.

The pieces are velcroed together.

7995, I would appreciate any tips and pointers you have on what needs to be done.

He wanted 2500 for it.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

The Whitearmor forum is not intimidating, it's overwhelming with information and knowledge. If we pretended to be able to sum it all up in this one thread, we'd be messing with you. I recommend using google search with the parameter: " site:whitearmor.net" after your keywords because the search engine inside whitearmor isn't that great. You won't find much info here, we're barely a hundred frequently-active members, not all of which know anything about TK's.

The FX armor is the most popular armor actually, it's been around longer and many troopers wear it. But the current costume standards have made it nearly impossible to get it approved today. It's nearly impossible because most people who get an FX armor nowadays get it impulsively for the "good deal" but aren't ready for the months of research involved to take the thing apart and rebuild it properly.

Just by looking quickly I can spot that you have to cut the kidney from the butt, glue the sniper plate to the shin (not upside down like you have velcro'ed it now), pop 2 split rivets through the ammo pack into the right thigh, cut a curve in the lower corners of that pack, repaint the ab buttons, repaint the blue tube stripes that seem odd on pic, the rank bar on the ears so that here's only 1 bar per ear, glue the thighs shut, glue the forearms and biceps shut, glue the shoulder bridges to the chest plate, get a new canvas belt, get a leather holster, get an O2 canister for the back of the belt, and attach all the parts where they should be and fitting your body.

For someone who's already read through hundreds of Whitearmor pages and galleries, and found the "FX armor mod" threads (7995 has made one over there, he can find it for you), that's a weekend's work beside the canister that I can't find in your first pic (for a canister you need to order 3 ABS parts if an armorer has a spare, find a PVC pipe of the right diameter, and order metal brackets from trooperbay or one of the dudes on Whitearmor.), but someone else will have to stare at the screen a lot.

So it's possible, if you find the obsession for it! Now understand that we see many people buy FX kits, show up here to ask how to get approved, hear about the modifications, then they give up quickly and try to find something or someone to blame. It's not the right spirit. If you have two hands you can modify what you have, and improve it, that's what we're about. Then if it will be approved in the Legion or not after you spent time on it, is uncertain, but shouldn't matter in today's decision because it's ultimately your own costume and not for us to decide for you.
Last edited by 54321 on 05 Jun 2014, 00:23, edited 3 times in total.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 15136 »

2500 is a good price :)
Don't worry! there are many members with FX armor. And yours will be approved too... in time ;)

As long as you don't have a FX helmet ;)
I.. eum... eehh.... Star Wars!

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 54321 »

Dennis doesn't know what he's talking about.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

Here are the requirements to get it approved: http://www.501st.com/databank/Costuming:TK_anh_stunt