For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

walo
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

Second try, stormtrooper or sith lord?

Post by walo »

I looked into getting myself a star wars suit two years ago but unfortunately other things came between and I didn't have the time or money for it.
Now I do have those two and I even have a garage since a month!
So my biggest question would be if a stormtrooper or sith lord á Vader suit would need the most work to have it completed?
I don't mind doing some work on it but this far in my life I have a limited experience with being handy so I'd really prefer something that doesn't require too much of stitching things together :)
Afraid I have no idea at all yet which version and such I'd want it to look like, but some general guidelines which would be a better start as I'm a bit torn between the two myself.
I should also ask in the general section which of the two are most desired at events, are there usually a sith lord or none? Would two sith lords look ridiculous next to eachother at the same event?

Thanks in advance!

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Re: Second try, stormtrooper or sith lord?

Post by 5573 »

Most important is your height and build. A 145cm, 50kg Vader might not create the desired impression ;)
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

walo
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by walo »

well I left that out with intention :)
As I'm 197cm there usually isn't that much to debate once that is out.
It did seem like I might be able to squeeze myself into a stormtrooper suit the last time I checked around for it two years ago but I guess a sith lord would be the best choice!

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 61815 »

At that size a Vader would look terrifying ;-)
Troops 2013 / 5 including Legoland 2013
Troops 2014 / 12 including Legoland 2014
Troops 2015 / 10 including Legoland 2015
Troops 2016 / 11 including Legoland 2016
Imperial gunner
Tie pilot reserve
ANH Tie pilot
Imperial bridge crew
Imperial scanning crew
AT-ST driver

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by 5573 »

There are stormies out there who are that tall but I'd highly recommend Vader for you.
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 74210 »

Agreed.
Vader is a time and money consuming project. A Stormtrooper is nowhere near as large a project as a Vader.
At your length a Vader would be ideal. :)

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

Depends on where you are located as well, if you live in a place with one (or more) active Vaders, it could be a bit tricky, but people that troop as Vader are often more than happy to share the spotlight and take turns as appearing as Vader, as he is one of the most popular and asked after characters.

With your height, Vader is a great choice, and we have many great Vaders here in Nordic Garrison that you can ask a lot of questions when deciding which Vader to go for (Revenge Of The Sith (ROTS), A New Hope (ANH), Empire Strikes Back (ESB) or Return of The Jedi (ROTJ)).

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 11327 »

David Prowse, who wore the suit in the movies is 198 cm tall. Your height is practically perfect. I don't think that many of the current Vader costumers in the Nordic Garrison are that tall.

I would say that Darth Vader is the one most popular character in all of Star Wars, and that is something that you notice at events.
If you want to do a Sith Lord costume, then I think that you should definitely go all in and make the Sith Lord. Other Sith lords from any of the novels or computer games are not recognized that much, and quite low on the popularity scale.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 74210 »

Head over to http://forum.501stsithlords.com unless you've already registered there and get a feel for a Vader build. This is the forum of Vader, Palpatine, Maul... in the 501st Legion.
They have a lot of resources and you can have a look at ongoing builds. It's a very active and helpful forum.

To familiarise yourself with the Stormtrooper and stormtrooper builds. Head over to http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/

:)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 56456 »

Go Vader you lucky tall guy!
11327 wrote:If you want to do a Sith Lord costume, then I think that you should definitely go all in and make the Sith Lord. Other Sith lords from any of the novels or computer games are not recognized that much, and quite low on the popularity scale.
Don't forget Maul, due to Star Wars: The Clone Wars he's more popular then ever. But compared with Vader he's still far from there. Although people that's not so familiar with Star Wars may think that a TIE pilot is Vader (yes, this has happened, more then twice in my precense and I giggled) and Maul is very easy to distinguish.
ImageImageImage