For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Jawa build

Post by 88561 »

Hi,

My 5 year old boy wanted to join me in trying to join the 501st, so I thought he would make an excellent Jawa. (I know he needs to be18... so he'll just be unofficial "entourage")
(Besides, I need to get my SL or CC build finished and approved before any of that is even an issue...)

Back to the Jawa build, I'm struggling to find a good material for the robe. Anyone got any suggestions of make or shop?
Also, I have an authentic mauser bandolier, and the eyes/mask is coming along nicely, but I'm not sure how to make the blaster. Any suggestions?
"You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light."

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Re: Jawa build

Post by 4492 »

A lot of people use the heavy kind of fabric that you use for furniture, I would definitely recommend against that. The fabric is very hot and is going to be really uncomfortable, especially for a 5 year old. I always recommend trying to find fabrics that are made from 100% natural fibres, they usually breath a lot better and are therefore cooler. The important thing is to find a fabric where you can see the weave. I recommend reading through my guide to different fabrics and weaves.. The original jawa robes were mostly made in a twill weave, but a plain weave is ok as well, as long as it's clearly visible. The surface of the fabric should not be even and flat.

I bought my jawa fabric from a place that carries a good selection of fabrics in natural fibres, unfortunately they only carry small amounts and they don't have that fabric anymore.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

Also visit here, this is the place for good Jawa details. http://www.kraytclan.com/forum/
Troops: 92

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 88561 »

Hi again,

I've already spent quite some time at the Kraytclan forum and generally researching.
My kid will serve as the test subject, so that I don't need to spend a fortune on something that doesn't look good for the final robe.
I went to the local "stoff & stil" shop and turns out they have a 501st imperial guard working there :)
We decided to go with a beige plain weave wool blend that I have dyed brown. The fabric is quite heavy, but I'll have to wait and see how it turns out.
Also, the dye didn't produce the dark brown I was looking for, even after two rounds, so not sure how to get it even darker, or if it will be ok in the end.
Like I said, this "mini-Jawa" will serve as my R&D for a full-size Jawa later, so I'm still open for good tips on where to get fabric that would be a great fit.
"You could warn me when I do something bad. Blink once for dark side, twice for light."

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 4492 »

Jawas don't have to be very dark brown, they have quite a lot of variation in the films. I would also recommend adding a tiny bit of red/orange/brick into it. It's hard to see by my robe is dyed with two parts dark brown and one part red.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 88561 »

Yeah, looking at some more pictures I see the red you're talking about.
I think I'll try to mix in some red next time. Not sure if the fabric will absorb any more color though...
Only one way to find out :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 12077 »

Are you willing to cut that bandolier to pieces? I think that´s too big for 5 year old.. might not be comfortable to wear.
But hey, just throwing an opinion :)
It´s great to have more of those critters!
12077 - Death Star workforce - "commence primary ignition"

"Well hello mr. fancy pants. I got news for you pal, you ain´t leading but two things right now; Jack and s#!t. And Jack left town."

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 52583 »

I made a jawa for my own son, also 5,and I can really recommend getting some kind of fan system installed if the fabric makes him warm. I have two fans, but still he comes out like a wet rag afterwards..

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 88561 »

@12077: I have tried the bandolier on, and it does look a little big, but it's after my great grandfather, so not really something I want to modify. We'll work something out.
@52583: The fabric is quite heavy, and wool blend, so heat could become an issue, but we'll just have to wait and see once the outfit is finished. Not sure how to install fans inside, or even how to begin something like that...

Attaching some photos of the fabric (and bandolier), any comments are welcome :)
IMG_0275.jpg
IMG_0275.jpg (240.36 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
IMG_0276.jpg
IMG_0276.jpg (97.92 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
IMG_0277.JPG
IMG_0277.JPG (89.32 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
Last edited by 88561 on 04 Dec 2014, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 88561 »

I need to practice adding photos... :p