For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper
antispamfield: No

Introquestion

Post by 78346 »

Hi!

Finally signed in to this forum, something I've been planning for about 4 years, but school just took all of my time.
Now I've finished my bachelor, and can focus on more important things, like this!

My name is Stein, 27 and is to be found in Trondheim. I've wanted to get my hands on an armor since I saw the 501st parading in the 17th of may train in 2011. I have seen a stormtrooper box in Outland for years, but thankfully I have kept my hands away from that - knowing that I'd need to do some heavy research.

So far I've been reading through the nights, and know a bit about the different makers out there. But there's still not much info around some of the makers which lacks a website.
What I want is ANH (stunt) armor, and I've found two makers I think might fit me. ATA and RS Propmasters.

ATA: I've contacted ATA got an 11 monts waitlist, but I could get a helmet there in beforehand. The quality looks great as far as my untrained eye can see.

RS Propmasters: The first cast of an original ANH armor is tempting. Availability is on the plus side.

My concern is if any of these are close for 501st acceptance. For example, I know FX isn't. And is the ATA worth the wait, or should I save up a bit more for the RS?

Also, sizing. I'm 179 cm tall and bout 75 kg. Is that about good enough sizing for "normal" fit?

- Stein (stormie)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Re: Introquestion

Post by 74210 »

Hello and Welcome Stein!

The two sources you list can be made to be approvable without too much hassle. It's required that it's built by the specifications in our CRL and that it fits you well. You have a good normal size for Stormtroopers so you shouldn't need to make any special arrangements to make it fit you.
I have an RS myself and is roughly your size. Fits nicely. :)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 29996 »

Hi, velcome!
I guess you already checked out Whitearmor.net.
It's good you stayed away from outlands lid, if that the box you refered to, as its a little to ideolised for being accepted into 501st without some modifications.
"What I do? I seek answers"
(rc-omega) (snowie) (gunner) (rp) (x-wing) (sandie)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 78346 »

Thanks a lot!

Good to hear that I've got a good size; was a bit worried, since I've read somewhere that the actors in the movies weren't that big. (no friggin idea where I got that idea)

I've been lurking through whitearmor (lately under the same nickname) the last couple of nights, woke up two'o'clock today, lurk some more.

I'm quite a detailfreak, and I love to read about the progress behind the search for authenticity. The chelsea boot was very interesting. So if I'm going balls out ANH, I'd have black boots painted white, yes? :)

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 3664 »

For maximum authenticity, yes. You could buy the boots locally and paint them yourself, a lot of troopers have done that.

Personally I have a TM armor and an RS-helmet, and I am super satisfied.

Your size is pretty much spot on.

What kind of armor you eventually go for is up to you; how much money you are willing to spend on it, and how particular you are about it beeing as close to the original as possible.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 78346 »

I've lurked around TM's facebook page, and his work is really stunning.
I'm afraid it will be too pricey for me, I don't know - should throw him a message pretty soon.

I've learned that the RS helmet is close to perfect, but their suit is somewhat less than perfect. It has two right arms, some damage and irregular lines etc.

There's also some discussion around ATAs ANH lineage, that it started up as a ROTJ armor with ANH helmet. So I'm undecided.
I'm in their waiting list, but if I change my mind (in 11 MONTHS), I could sell my spot for 1 billion dollars.

God, I'm split.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 29996 »

There is other makers out there, who has a much sorter wait time, with similar origins as Ata, such as mtk, wtf, bfa, AP, to name a few. Many arent on fisds vetted list due to some uncertanties in their origin, but many people uses their armors and are really happy with them. Just so you know.
"What I do? I seek answers"
(rc-omega) (snowie) (gunner) (rp) (x-wing) (sandie)

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 78346 »

Thanks for the update. I'll check those out!

Walt's Trooper Factory; He wrote on his group on facebook that he won't be taking any more orders before his new baby is born.
Anyways, it didn't look like the maker for me. More focus on suits for kids etc. Also, it's the secrecy surrounding where he got his cast from.

MTK; I cringed the second I saw the added stickers for the helmet and suit.

Authenticprops (AP): Told to be very inaccurate. Also harder to assemble.
The AP-armor is known for not being the most easy to assemble with mismatched shins
Don't know how this is compared to ATA.

Maybe I'm heading towards RS/TM.

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 30502 »

Mtk kits are available now.
Troops: 92

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 78346 »

30502 wrote:Mtk kits are available now.
From where? Trooperbay? They only sell them over ebay... Not that classy ;)