For all costumes from A New Hope, EMpire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi

Moderator: team-ng-command

the_price
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen
antispamfield: No

I want to join, i need big help building Darth Vader costume

Post by the_price »

Hello there! My name is David Thornell, and i live in Sweden close to the city of Malmo. I want to join the 501st legion and build myself a Darth Vader costume. But u have NO IDEA how to do it, how much it will cost me, how to get started, where to look for parts, or anything.

Is it allowed to buy a Darth Vader replica costume like this 1: http://www.buystarwarscostumes.com/dart ... entic.html

and mod it or do I have to make an entire costume from scratch?

Please help me I have no idea how to get this going but I really want to join, its my dream.

Best of regards, David.

PS: If this topic / thread already exists im sorry.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Re: I want to join, i need big help building Darth Vader cos

Post by 61815 »

No that won't work. You need a proper Darth Vader costume, and they are typically around 5-7000$. They are custom made, and typically takes about a year of planning, paying, producing, shipping, fitting and testing.
Troops 2013 / 5 including Legoland 2013
Troops 2014 / 12 including Legoland 2014
Troops 2015 / 10 including Legoland 2015
Troops 2016 / 11 including Legoland 2016
Imperial gunner
Tie pilot reserve
ANH Tie pilot
Imperial bridge crew
Imperial scanning crew
AT-ST driver

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 4785 »

61815 wrote:No that won't work. You need a proper Darth Vader costume, and they are typically around 5-7000$. They are custom made, and typically takes about a year of planning, paying, producing, shipping, fitting and testing.
Pretty much what he said. I have a ESB Vader myself and I can tell you, there won´t be no short cuts to make it. Those plastic ones, as the one you linked, is no good at all, without a massive overhauling, which basically means that you can actually save money and not to buy it.
I would recommend you to start looking at first more "entry friendly" costume than Vader, a TIE Pilot for example.
That´s much easier, cheaper to build and put together than Vader. Trust me. :)
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one" - Spock, Star Trek, Wrath of Khan

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 74210 »

Hello and welcome to our forum!

A great way to get started on your journey to Vader-hood is to go to the Sith Lord Detachment and register for their forum: http://www.501stsithlords.com
There you can find about just everything you will need in order to get parts and build yourself a Vader costume. On the forums there you'll find the experts on Vader and his costume.

the_price
Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by the_price »

Okay I see, well it all sounds extremley hard and thats just too bad.....why cant the 501st just set up a site with plans / drawings for making each costume, ONLY accessable for members to come? To know that youre doing the right thing, building it correctly, getting the correct parts and where to buy them etc? It would make it easier for people to join, and it would save "members to be" a lot of time and money. Or am I being and idiot now haha? I mean it in all the best ways. Ive googled it and I cant find anything anywhere that is understandable? Is there anyone in here that speaks Swedish? I find it easier to communicate and ask the questions I have if I can speak to a Swedish member. Best of regards, David.

Imperial spy
Imperial spy

Post by 6202 »

the_price wrote:Okay I see, well it all sounds extremley hard and thats just too bad.....why cant the 501st just set up a site with plans / drawings for making each costume, ONLY accessable for members to come? To know that youre doing the right thing, building it correctly, getting the correct parts and where to buy them etc? It would make it easier for people to join, and it would save "members to be" a lot of time and money. Or am I being and idiot now haha? I mean it in all the best ways. Ive googled it and I cant find anything anywhere that is understandable? Is there anyone in here that speaks Swedish? I find it easier to communicate and ask the questions I have if I can speak to a Swedish member. Best of regards, David.
We have some Swedish vaders yes, but once again, at http://www.501stsithlords.com you will find a lot of help ;)

ROTJ Boba Fett 100% TFU Stormtrooper Commander 100% ROTS Plo Koon 95%
http://www.youtube.com/user/zirro93

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 6894 »

Hiya!

one Swedish vader here! as they said in top don´t buy that suit in that link!
and the road to a vader is full of wait! I spent three years building mine.
do you have any idea what vader you want to do.? ANH , ESB, ROTJ?
the man they call fuzzy bear.
ANH Vader 100%
WIP ESB Vader 85%
WIP ROTJ Vader 40%

PR Officer
PR Officer

Post by 4918 »

Another Vader here. You can PM me questions in Swedish if needed ;)
Bring 'em on! I prefer a straight fight to all this sneakin' around!
Email

Nordic Garrison trooper
Nordic Garrison trooper

Post by 74210 »

the_price wrote:Okay I see, well it all sounds extremley hard and thats just too bad.....why cant the 501st just set up a site with plans / drawings for making each costume, ONLY accessable for members to come? To know that youre doing the right thing, building it correctly, getting the correct parts and where to buy them etc? It would make it easier for people to join, and it would save "members to be" a lot of time and money. Or am I being and idiot now haha? I mean it in all the best ways. Ive googled it and I cant find anything anywhere that is understandable? Is there anyone in here that speaks Swedish? I find it easier to communicate and ask the questions I have if I can speak to a Swedish member. Best of regards, David.
http://www.501stsithlords.com is essentially that place. The place to go to find instructions and help.
It will require more work than to just following a set of instructions because it all depends on what stuff you want to get and your body measurements.
If you want to build everything from scratch you'll have to dig deep. If you want to buy many of the parts ready made then you essentially just need to check at http://www.501stsithlords.com to see where to look for them and what to avoid.

The Swedish Vaders will be able to help you with some questions in Swedish but the one stop place for all information about current requirements and suppliers is http://www.501stsithlords.com

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 6894 »

Som janne redan har sagt så är du välkommen att kontakta oss :)
the man they call fuzzy bear.
ANH Vader 100%
WIP ESB Vader 85%
WIP ROTJ Vader 40%