Clone Shock Trooper Armor Build

For all costumes from The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith

Moderator: team-ng-command

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper
antispamfield: No
Location: Aalborg Øst, Denmark (Originally from Southern California, USA)

Clone Shock Trooper Armor Build

Post by 73012 »

Ok... I started about a week ago or so... It's all come along fine, but a bit slow... So much measuring to be done and sanding and measuring again. But it's coming along.

I have a few questions.
First, on the first photo, it shows some cutline marks... I am following DW's guild here: http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.ph ... opic=14542. Those of you who have made this armor, have you also cut away the bottom of the shin plates? Leaving no "lip"?

Second. The top part of the Shin gaurd. Is it supposed to be rounded, or pointed?

Third. How much "lip" should be added to all the peices, if any? I've already made the Biceps, Upper thighs, forarms and shin guards.

Thanks for your help.
Attachments
DSC_0126.JPG
DSC_0126.JPG (249.47 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
DSC_0127.JPG
DSC_0127.JPG (331.35 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
DSC_0128.JPG
DSC_0128.JPG (312.98 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Clone Trooper-Shock Trooper Phase II
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper
(B1 Battle Droid: Planning stage)

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Re: Clone Shock Trooper Armor Build

Post by 73012 »

Well, while I wait for a Help response to my first post, I finally found the material I'll be useing for the Undersuit. =) YEAH!!!

See:
Attachments
DSC_0129.JPG
DSC_0129.JPG (185.88 KiB) Viewed 6466 times
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper

501st Legion Trooper
501st Legion Trooper

Post by 7995 »

I would make it a bit rounded, but not so much. Just to make it "flush" at the top. But dont know if it must be pointy or rounded.

And the undersuit fabric looks good to me :)
SKÅNE TROOPERS

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 73012 »

7995 wrote:I would make it a bit rounded, but not so much. Just to make it "flush" at the top. But dont know if it must be pointy or rounded.

And the undersuit fabric looks good to me :)

Yeah... That's my worry too... Mayby I should just follow DWs methode to the letter... lol
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper

SL-8614
Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by SL-8614 »

the suite looks great
Formerly known as Anakin Skywalker, now gone he is consumed by Darth Vader.

http://thomasblack1.deviantart.com/
All my art and commission rates

Need a sig? just ask ^^

Imperial citizen
Imperial citizen

Post by 2501 »

Elysia_1 wrote:Ok... I started about a week ago or so... It's all come along fine, but a bit slow... So much measuring to be done and sanding and measuring again. But it's coming along.

I have a few questions.
First, on the first photo, it shows some cutline marks... I am following DW's guild here: http://forum.clonetroopers.net/index.ph ... opic=14542. Those of you who have made this armor, have you also cut away the bottom of the shin plates? Leaving no "lip"?

Second. The top part of the Shin gaurd. Is it supposed to be rounded, or pointed?

Third. How much "lip" should be added to all the peices, if any? I've already made the Biceps, Upper thighs, forarms and shin guards.

Thanks for your help.
1: Get rid of it. It will be uncomfortable, ruin your shoes over time, and you won't see the difference anyway.

2: Mine is ever so slightly rounded, but not much. Screen grabs are your friend.

3: Looks fine to me. But it depends on how snug the pieces are. I personally have no return edge on the bottom of my forearms, in order to have the right taper. OSCS forearms tend to get a bit "Popeye-ish" if you assemble them the way he shows it on his page. Clones have insanely thin wrists, so the tighter the better in my opinion. You might have to reshape them a bit to get them round enough, using a heat gun if you do this. A bit scary. :)

Here you see an in progress of mine:

Overall, I have around 5-10 mm. edge on my suit, depending on the piece.
TK/TS/TC/CC-2501

My Cody project
Where is the prequel costuming love?

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 73012 »

2501 wrote:
Elysia_1 wrote:Ok... I started about a week ago or so... It's all come along fine, but a bit slow... So much measuring to be done and sanding and measuring again. But it's coming along.

I have a few questions.

Thanks for your help.
1: Get rid of it. It will be uncomfortable, ruin your shoes over time, and you won't see the difference anyway.

2: Mine is ever so slightly rounded, but not much. Screen grabs are your friend.

3: Looks fine to me. But it depends on how snug the pieces are. I personally have no return edge on the bottom of my forearms, in order to have the right taper. OSCS forearms tend to get a bit "Popeye-ish" if you assemble them the way he shows it on his page. Clones have insanely thin wrists, so the tighter the better in my opinion. You might have to reshape them a bit to get them round enough, using a heat gun if you do this. A bit scary. :)

Here you see an in progress of mine:

Overall, I have around 5-10 mm. edge on my suit, depending on the piece.

YES!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you... Exactly what I was looking for!

I've also been experimenting with using "abs paste" as filler instead of Bondo (which I do have) and it works very nicely but takes for ever to harden.

Any other fantastic tips??? =)
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 73012 »

HELP!!! lol

I've come to the Breast Plate and AB Plate...

I've figured that you can't make the Breast Plate before the AB Plate is correctly cut and made...

Is this how the AB Plate is to be made??? And do I glue the two together and slit it in the back???

Help... lol
Attachments
DSC_0130.JPG
DSC_0130.JPG (222.3 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
DSC_0131.JPG
DSC_0131.JPG (211.82 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
DSC_0133.JPG
DSC_0133.JPG (218.41 KiB) Viewed 6378 times
Last edited by 73012 on 12 Jun 2013, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper

Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Post by 5573 »

Exactly. I was lucky enough that I can slip it over my head and shoulders so I don't need to slit the back but if you can't do that then a slit it is :)
"Shut him up or shut him down!"

Troop count: One, two, three, many, lots!

Nordic Base trooper
Nordic Base trooper

Post by 73012 »

5573 wrote:Exactly. I was lucky enough that I can slip it over my head and shoulders so I don't need to slit the back but if you can't do that then a slit it is :)
Thank you... =)
ESB Hoth Trench Trooper